Sunday, June 30, 2013

Coalition Brewing Company - Off the Wagon Dunkel Rye Ale

This beer is no yoke.
Man, do I have a lot of beers to review. Not that I've been slacking in the beer drinking department. Oh, no, that's not the problem. I just haven't felt much like tapping away on my laptop in this zillion degree heat. That's no fun. However, my little beer blog is feeling horribly neglected, so I decided to get caught up a bit.

The first beer on my tardy list is Coalition Brewing Company's Off the Wagon Dunkel Rye Ale. The label reports an ABV of 5.4%. I like the artwork. It depicts a blue ox--maybe Paul Bunyan's Babe?

The beer poured from bomber into my Mason jar a dark brown color with a reddish hue. The tan head was clumpy and creamy and rose up to a full finger thick. It dissipated at a moderate rate and left some sudsy lacing behind.

Aroma was roasted malt and brown sugar. Not a lot of smell coming from this brew. Light hints of citrus and dark fruit.

Taste followed the nose. Predominantly roasted malt with just a bit of a bitter edge. Light brown sugar. Subtle sour fruit flavor and just a smattering of rye spice in the finish.

Thin to medium mouthfeel with low to medium carbonation. Finish was a little watery.

This is an easy drinker and fairly sessionable. Not awesome, but I wouldn't turn one down. I'm giving Off the Wagon a BeerGuyPDX rating of 2 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.




No comments:

Post a Comment