Saturday, June 1, 2013

Breakside Brewery - Blood Orange Cascadian Dark Ale

Bloody good!
Yesterday was payday, sooooo...I had to spend some of my meager wages on...beer. What did you think I was going to say? Coke and strippers? No, Wolf Linderman doesn't go for debauchery, his only obsession is drinking fine craft beer. He is also irritating the crap out of me by referring to himself in third person. Stop it Wolf! Who do you think you are?

Okay, so I tried to spend some of my beer money at a beer establishment that will forever be unnamed (and un-reviewed). I couldn't get any service and after a half hour of waiting, I decided to take my business elsewhere. Wolf Linderman gets very, very grouchy when he gets poor or non-existent service. Jeesh, there he goes again! Wolf Linderman is a real a**hole.

I ended up taking me, myself and my beer money to Breakside Brewery. It was a beautiful, almost sunny afternoon and they have some nice tables out on the sidewalk. I had several beers because they were interested in my business and it appeared they actually wanted to get my money out of my wallet and into their cash register. Imagine that!

The beer I really enjoyed was their Blood Orange Cascadian Dark Ale (CDA). It was delivered to my table (promptly) in a nicely shaped pint glass--not the typical shaker or tulip pint. It was a dark black color with a moderate, off-white head. There was really good retention and a decent amount of sudsy lacing was left all over the glass.

Aroma was citrus hops and toasted malt. Not a whole lot more going on in the nose.

Taste was nonspecific citrus--grapefruit, lemon. A decent hops bite to it, but not too bitter. A little tinge of chocolate and a pleasant, light smokiness in the background. A subtle hazelnut flavor to the finish. I didn't taste much orange, but Blood Oranges don't really have much of a bang to their flavor anyway.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. It tasted very fresh and crisp for a dark beer. No dank earthiness or anything. Wolf Linderman liked it. Stop it, Wolf!

I'm giving Blood Orange CDA a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment