Sunday, May 26, 2013

Voodoo Brewing Company - Voodoo Love Child

Who do? Voodoo!
You know, one of the hazards of this beer hobby of mine is trying to remain reasonably coherent after sampling multiple subjects of said hobby. Hey, I NEVER drink and drive (and neither should you), but I often drink and TYPE. No chance of anybody ever getting hurt by a drunk typer, but the results may not be very pretty.

I just polished off a bomber of Voodoo Brewing Company's Voodoo Love Child. 9.5% ABV ain't fooling around. Of course, I probably had a couple of other beers earlier in the day--you know, purely for research purposes. Anyway, I think you can see my problem. What exactly am I writing right now? Something weird? Embarrassing? Felonious? 

In any case, the subject of this review poured from bomber into my Chimay goblet a bright ruby peach color. There was really no head to speak of, but a significant amount of bubbles lined the inside of the glass.

Aroma was straight up fruit and more fruit: cherries, raspberries and a bready, yeasty aroma that made the whole thing smell like fresh berry-rubarb pie.

Taste followed the nose. Lots of fruit and a pleasant maltiness in the background. As the beer warmed, the alcohol became more apparent. However, the booze never eclipsed the sweet and sour fruit flavor.

Medium mouthfeel with very lively carbonation.

I've never been a big fruit beer aficionado, but this brew could change me over. What a pleasant, highly drinkable beer. Just excellent and an interesting, fruity take on a Belgian-style trippel. I'm giving Voodoo Love Child a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment