Friday, May 10, 2013

Uinta Brewing Company - Hop Notch IPA

Uinta Brewing - Hop Notch IPA
Notch-urally tasty IPA
Friday, it's Friday, drinkin' my beer on Friday. Yay! It's Friday! Oh, the traffic gods tried to prevent me from getting home tonight with bumper to bumper traffic. Yes, they did. I heard another tour bus flipped over on the freeway. Damn. And then some dude backed into my car in the supermarket parking lot. I thought I'd never make it to my front porch with my weekend six pack.

I brought home some Uinta Brewing Company's Hop Notch IPA. 7.3% ABV. Picked up a sixer at QFC for eight bucks. Man, beer is getting expensive. Even craptacular mass production beer is pricey. What's up with that? I'm imagining tuxedo-ed beer barons lighting cigars with hundred dollar bills.

Hop Notch poured into my Mason jar a clear, orange/amber color with an off-white head. The head rose up to more than two inches thick and dissipated slowly. Lots of lacing was left behind.

The aroma of sweet malt filled the nose as soon as I popped the cap. With proboscis over the glass, the smell was big on citrus hops. Light tropical fruit and a hint of pine.

Taste gave a solid, bitter kick. Citrus and pine. Sweet malt hung on in the aftertaste for just a second until the hops reasserted themselves.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Creamy finish. No alcohol bite.

This is a very drinkable brew. Not a hop bomb, but sometimes that's not what I'm looking for in a beer. It does have a enough complexity to keep me coming back for more. Good stuff, and I' giving Hop Notch a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment