Sunday, May 26, 2013

Tröegs Brewing Company - Flying Mouflan Barleywine

Seriously, what's a Flying Mouflan?
While I clearly have an unreasonable bias towards the fine craft beer produced here in Portland, Oregon, I have to admit that there is some awesome stuff being brewed all over the country. I recently swapped some East Coast brews for some Northwest brews, in my first ever cross-country beer trade. (Why didn't I do this sooner?) I sure hope my trading partner is enjoying the beers I sent her as much as I'm digging the new-to-me gems she sent me. They're awesome!

The first brew out of the box was Tröegs Brewing Company's Flying Mouflan Barleywine. It has a hefty ABV of 9.3% and an illustration of a fearsome-looking flying beer cap on the label. I have no idea what a Flying Mouflan is, but the beer is fantastic.

The beer poured from bomber into my goblet a hazy, ruddy brown color. The tan head was almost a finger thick and had good retention.

Aroma was brown sugar and toffee. Dark, dried fruit smell: raisins, dates, cherries. There was hint of citrus hops in the background.

Taste followed the nose with the flavors of caramel, brown sugar, toffee and over-ripe fruit. Reminded me of a Milky Way candy bar with a healthy, bitter hops note. The flavors perked up and the booze became more apparent as the beer warmed up in the glass.

Medium to full mouthfeel. The body rolls around on the tongue a bit, but it's not a tonsil-coater. This is a very easy drinker for the style. I polished off the 22 oz. bomber lickity-split.

Awesome barleywine. The only flaw I could find is that I won't be able to pick up a bottle of Flying Mouflan at my local bottleshop any time I want one. I'm giving this one a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie because it made the Wonder Beagle howl, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment