Saturday, May 11, 2013

Three Floyds Brewing Company - Artic Panzer Wolf IIPA

I'll give you something
to howl about...
I found myself at Apex this afternoon. I took the TriMet number 70 bus, based on my own good advice. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out my posts about Portland beer locations and the various city bus routes that can get you to them: Portland Beer by Bus. I've written up seven routes so far and it's still a work in progress.

At Apex, I ordered myself an Artic Panzer Wolf from Three Floyds Brewing Company. Yeah, I suppose I would drink any beer with the word "wolf" in it's name. Luckily, every one I've tried so far has been pretty damn good.

Artic Panzer Wolf was served up in a twelve ouncer and was a slightly hazy, golden apricot color. The creamy white head was a good 1/2 inch thick and left a decent amount of lacing behind throughout the entire drink.

Aroma was sweet malt and tropical fruit from a distance. Mango, pineapple, tangerine and melon. Big citrus hops filled the nose immediately upon a closer uptake.

Big bitter hops bang hits with the first sip. Largely grapefruit with a bit of orange in the mix. I didn't pick up much of the tropical fruitiness in the taste that the smell hinted at. The malt flavor isn't completely over-shadowed, but the slightly funky, spicy, pucker power of those hops is the major component. Don't order this beer unless you have a sincere appreciation for an everlasting hop bomb. That's all I'm saying.

Medium to slightly full mouthfeel. There's just a bit of stickiness to the stuff. 9.5% ABV, but I didn't get any alcohol harshness at all. The finish is fairly smooth, with a lingering citrus hops bitterness.

I really like this one and would order another glass or pick up a bomber in a heartbeat. I'm giving Artic Panzer Wolf a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment