Thursday, May 2, 2013

Occidental Brewing Company - Barrel-Aged Lucubrator Doppelbock

Lucubrator Doppelbock
Drink 3 and then say
"Lucubrator"
I stopped in at 1856 for a cold one after work today. What a beautiful summer-like day in PDX. There was no way I was going to stay on the hot, stinky number 8 bus.

They have a short taplist at 1856, but they make up for the lack of quantity with a considerable amount of quality. I ordered a Lucubrator Bourbon Barrel-Aged Doppelbock. No messing around with a dainty snifter--I got a full pint.

The beer was presented before me a deep, dark brown color that showed off some amber hues when held up to the light. The mocha head was a 1/2 inch tall and dissipated quickly. A light ring of lacing was left to crown the top.

Smell was light bourbon booze with brown sugar and a subtle dark fruit aroma in the background.

Taste was a surprisingly light bourbon flavor with hints of vanilla and mild spice. No real alcohol burn detected.

Medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. This is a highly drinkable brew. Not at all syrupy or too boozy. I really like the "less is more" character of this tasty beer.

Good stuff, Maynard, and I'm giving it a very respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment