Monday, May 13, 2013

Lagunitas Brewing Company - Lucky 13

Lucky dog.
Mondays suck. Seriously, who invented Mondays, anyway? That dude should be in all the history books--as the biggest d-bag of all time. Right up there with Rasputin and Mussolini, that guy--Mr. Monday Inventing Guy. I hate you.

Yeah, it was a lousy Monday, but "lucky" for me, I had a fine craft beer in the fridge to help make things all better. My brew of the evening is Lagunitas Brewing Company's Lucky 13 "A Mondo Large Red Ale", whatever that means. The beer comes with an ABV of 8.65% and 76.92 IBU's.

The beer poured from bomber to shaker pint a clear, reddish amber color, with a clumpy, creamy, off-white head. The head was almost two fingers thick and dissipated very slowly. Lots of sticky lacing was left behind all over the glass.

Aroma was citrus hops and lots of over-ripe tropical fruit. Pineapple, guava. Big smell of bready malt and brown sugar in the background. Lots of fun for the nose. As soon as I popped the cap on the bomber, Merry the Wonder Beagle came running into the room, thoroughly excited.

The taste gives a bitter sting to the salivary glands right from the get-go. Big flavor of grapefruit. Good earthy malt backbone to this beer. Great balance.

Medium mouthfeel and great carbonation. No alcohol burn that I could detect. Finish leaves that hoppy tang on the palate. Good stuff.

I'm giving Lucky 13 a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4 and a Droolie. The normally aloof Wonder Beagle actually crawled up on my lap trying to beg a sip of this brew off me.



No comments:

Post a Comment