Sunday, May 5, 2013

Fort George Brewery - Beta IPA 2.2

Papa Beer and Baby Beer...
My wife doesn't really like beer. I know, I know, it's hard to believe but it's true. I drag her all over God's creation to every brewery and beer hall on the planet and she usually gets a water or root beer.

The only beer style my lady enjoys is a Belgian-style wit, but only in teeny, tiny increments. Oh, well, she makes a helluva awesome lasagna, so that makes up for a lot.

After a fun morning at the beach, we headed back up the coast and ended up at Fort George Brewery. Okay, okay! I'll admit it! That was my plan the whole time! Yeah, I'm sure my wife knew what I was plotting. She doesn't call me "Mr. Obvious" for no good reason. She's a really good sport and I don't deserve the way she indulges me most of the time.

At Fort George, we scored the end of a table on the patio. Merry the Wonder Beagle crashed out in the shade UNDER the table, while I continued to sizzle in the unusually potent May sunshine. If you didn't read my previous review, let me once again bring up the very important message that I posted there: WEAR SUNSCREEN! I look like a giant lobster. Ow, oh, ow. Anyway, back to the post at hand.

I ordered a Beta IPA 2.2 and my lady got a 1/2 pint of Fort George's Quick Wit. I previously reviewed the very excellent wit earlier this year. Good stuff.

The Beta IPA 2.2 was presented a slightly hazy, golden orange color, with a finger thick, white head popping up above the rim of the Mason jar. The head was creamy looking and dissipated slowly. A good amount of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was citrus and pine-y hops. Orange and grapefruit. Light tropical fruit smell in the background. Just a bit of an earthy funkiness floating up the nostrils. 

Taste delivered a nice, tangy, bitter hops zing. Indistinct citrus flavor. Resinous pine. Pleasant malt, but not too sweet.

Medium mouthfeel. Good carbonation. A spicy, earthy, bitterness was left behind in the finish. I imagine the complex hoppiness could be a bit off-putting for the uninitiated, but most hopheads would likely give this brew a big thumbs up. I liked it a lot.

I'm giving Beta IPA 2.2 a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment