Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Fearless Brewing Company - Loki Red Ale

Nothing tricky here,
just damn good beer.
My wife is a teacher and a darn good one. She knows everything about anything and has the most annoying habit of constantly correcting my grammar. I do admit that my grammar often needs correcting. I constantly end sentences with prepositions and don't even mention my tangling participles.

Hey, I'm not complaining. Whenever I have a burning question, my lady is typically WAY faster than Google. For example, I was drinking a can of Fearless Brewing's Loki Red Ale tonight and I had no idea who or what "Loki" was. "Who the heck is Loki?" I asked my encyclopedic spouse.

"In Norse mythology, 'Loki' is a god known for being a trickster or a troublemaker," said my teacher extraordinaire. "He was always making problems for the other gods and goddesses. He was also a shapeshifter and, well, kind of a dick." Hmmm, interesting. Is the beer a troublemaker, too? I was anxious to find out.

The beer poured from pint-sized can into my AWESOME skull-shaped beer mug a reddish amber color with a thick, tan head. The head rose up a full finger thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. A good amount of frothy lacing was left behind.

Aroma was earthy, toasted malt up front with mild brown sugar notes. Light, citrus hops in the background.

Taste presented a delicious hops and malt balance. Every sip delivered a wonderful tug-of-war that ended with a nice hops zing to the tastebuds. Virtually no alcohol taste was detected in this 7.5% ABV beer, which could make Loki a serious troublemaker, indeed. The flavors really popped as the beer warmed up a bit.

Medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Finish was very smooth.

I'm really liking this beer--A LOT. Good, good stuff and I'm enjoying it so much I wish I had picked up more than one can. Very drinkable. The Wonder Beagle was busy snoozing while I drank it, so the Drool Factor is unknown. Nevertheless, I'm giving Loki Red Ale a very respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment