Monday, May 27, 2013

Elysian Brewing Company - Space Dust IPA

Totally spaced out?
Elysian Brewing Company puts out some mighty fine brews. They also have some pretty cool label graphics, especially on their Manic IPA Series beers. The label for Space Dust IPA jumped out at me from among all the other bombers in the Fred Meyer cold case. Just look at that happy hop guy, uh...what's he doing? Vomiting up some Space Dust? Yeah, I guess that's what he's doing...but at least he's happy about it.

The beer poured from the bomber into my Mason jar (I was too lazy to wash a real pint glass) a slightly hazy, orange amber color. The off-white head was more than a little lively. It foamed up more than two fingers thick and was massively clumpy and lumpy. The head had great retention and left loads of foamy lacing behind.

Aroma was citrus hops: orange and tangerine. Lots of tropical fruit and sweet malt. Pineapple and mango.

Taste followed the nose. Tropical fruit and orange. The hops provided a nice bitter balance to the sweet, bready malt and fruit flavors. This one rings in just a little too sweet for my taste, but if you like very fruity IPA's, you've found your beer. It is definitely not a hop bomb.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. The finish was just a tad watery, with the flavors dropping off without much of a goodbye.

Probably not a beer I'll purchase again. Just not my kind of IPA. I'm giving Space Dust a BeerGuyPDX rating of 2 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.




No comments:

Post a Comment