Thursday, May 23, 2013

Elysian Brewing Company - Loser Pale Ale

Try it. What do you have to loose?
When I was junior in high school, a mean girl named Becky (a popular, blonde cheerleader) got her hot-pink manicured fingers on my yearbook and inscribed one simple word with her loopy, teenage penmanship: LOOSER. Punctuated with the obligatory smiley face at the end. Of course, I'm pretty sure the illiterate little witch meant LOSER. She was quite proud of her nasty defacement of my 1977 edition of "The Constellation". My spot-on retort of "at least I can spell" was completely lost on her. God, I hated high school. 

When I spotted a bottle of Elysian's Loser Pale Ale in the cold case at Whole Foods today, I have to admit that I felt a little wounded. Why would a bottle of my favorite beverage mock me so? Just like Becky Whatshername. Why? I had to buy it, of course. I'd show 'em who's a loser with my fearsome beer reviewing skills.

The beer poured into my shaker pint a deep, golden orange color with a slightly off-white head. The head was almost an inch thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. A thin cap of lacing was left behind from rim to rim.

Aroma was citrus and herbal hops. Caramel malt smell in the background.

Taste followed the nose. Orange and lemon. Sweet caramel malt. There was a definite alcohol taste throughout the entire drink. The somewhat muted hops and malt flavors couldn't quite eclipse the 7.0% ABV.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Dry finish.

Not an awesome beer, but I certainly wouldn't turn one down. The Wonder Beagle wasn't interested enough to climb down from her perch on the top of the sofa back for this one. I'm giving Loser a BeerGuyPDX rating of 2 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment