Thursday, May 9, 2013

Bear Republic Brewing Company - Racer 5 IPA

The Powerful Mach 5...
It's Thursday and the weekend seems even farther away than it did yesterday. What's up with that? Beats me. All I know is that I'll be watching that Seth Thomas tick away the minutes all day tomorrow, until it's finally Beer O'Clock. Oh, what the heck, I might as well get started now.

Tonight's brew for review is Bear Republic's Racer 5 IPA. It has an ABV of 7% and comes from Healdsburg, CA. Hey! I've been to Healdsburg! I went to some distant relative's wedding in that burg. Stayed in a hotel room with a tree growing up through the middle of the floor or something. Hmm, it's all a blur. Maybe I had a few too many Racer 5's.

The beer poured from bomber into my glass a golden amber color with a bright, white head. The head was a good finger thick and dissipated slowly. A generous amount of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was sweet caramel malt and mild tropical fruit. Big scents of citrus and resinous pine on top of it all.

Taste is magnificently hops-centric. Big, bitter flavors of grapefruit, lemon and tangerine. Lingering tropical fruit in the background, but not too sweet. Caramel malt isn't lost in the mix.

Medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Creamy finish. 

This brew is a damn near perfect IPA. Sadly, the Wonder Beagle was snoozing out on the front porch the entire time I was drinking this golden masterpiece, so I can't provide a Droolie. Nevertheless, Racer 5 is getting a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment