Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Base Camp Brewing Company - Magnetic Meridian IPA

Hope my review isn't
too polarizing...
I stopped in at Orenco Taphouse for the first time yesterday. I already reviewed the taphouse (see below) but I still have to review the beer. I often wonder what people think when I start snapping pictures of beer with my phone. I'm sure beer geeks understand, but casual drinkers probably think I'm some kind of weirdo. Talk about weirdos, some hipster was drinking a bottle of Coors Light at Orenco Taphouse while I was there. Dang...just...dang. Gratefully, I was drinking something...better.

One of the beers I enjoyed was Base Camp Brewing Company's Magnetic Meridian IPA. It comes with an ABV of 7.5% and 62 IBU's.

The beer was presented in a large snifter. It was a clear, orange amber color with a thick, white head. I didn't get my phone fired up quickly enough to get a photo of the head in it's full glory. It dissipated at a moderate rate and left a good amount of lacing behind.

Aroma was mild citrus and pine hops, followed up by tropical and stone fruit. There was an interesting, spicy smell in the background that reminded me of something but I just couldn't put my finger on it.

Taste was a big mouthful of tropical fruit flavors. Orange, guava, and banana. The hops came in with a nice pine zing. This brew would have probably been too sweet for me, but the hops gave it just enough pucker power.

Medium mouthfeel and good carbonation. Smooth finish with that pleasant hops taste remaining on the palate. Just a little bit of an alcohol hit there at the end.

That banana flavor was really different. Base Camp beers are often a little out of the ordinary. Magnetic Meridian is a solid IPA and I'd definitely drink it again. Good stuff. I'm giving it a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment