Saturday, May 18, 2013

Ballast Point Brewing Company - Victory at Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMFG!
I spent the late morning, early afternoon of this rainy Portland Saturday at a bottle-sharing event. Hanging out with nice people and sampling some tasty, unusual beers? Hey, I dare you to find a better time in Stumptown. Double dog dare you.

One of the beers I brought along for the share was Ballast Point Brewing Company's Victory at Sea. I picked the bomber up in San Diego during my recent beercation to that sunny SoCal locale. Victory at Sea is a coffee vanilla imperial porter with an impressive ABV of 10%. Yoink! They love their big, boozy brews in San Diego.

The beer poured into my glass a dark brown/black color with a slight ruby tint around the edges. The mocha head dissipated quickly and left a light ring of lacing behind.

Aroma was a big sock of strong coffee right up front. Vanilla and booze bringing up the rear, along with some sweet, ripe fruit. Dark cherries and plum. Brown sugar.

Taste was dark, meaty espresso with lots of vanilla. Cocoa and roasted malt. Lots of booze, but it was a warm, smooth booziness. Not at all harsh. Just the right amount of hops bitterness off-setting the underlying sweet chocolate malt flavor. The flavors really popped as the beer warmed up. Delicious.

Slightly heavy, lightly viscous mouthfeel with low carbonation. Very smooth finish. This brew is extremely drinkable. The 10% ABV was evident but not at a deterrent to a healthy chug. Dangerous stuff.

This brew is pretty damn flawless. I wish I had brought back more than one bottle. Dang it. I'm giving Victory at Sea a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment