Monday, May 27, 2013

Anchor Brewing Company - Anchor Bock Beer

Get the bock out of here.
Usually I'm on a very specific mission when I go beer shopping. I know exactly what I'm looking for and I'm like the Terminator until I find it. Other times, I like to grab a bunch of single beers out of the market's cold case and stuff them into a bag without even looking at them. When I get the bottles home, I stick them waaaay in the back of the fridge and then just forget about them. Weeks or even months later, it's like a beer surprise.

Anchor Brewing's Anchor Bock Beer is a brew that I seriously don't remember buying. Where did I get it? I don't know. I think I picked it up a couple of weeks ago. I found it today, hiding in back of the Clausen pickles and that giant bottle of bloody mary mix that's been on the bottom shelf of the fridge since last summer. Ack.

The beer poured from 12 oz. bottle into the glass a deep, dark brown color with a thick mocha head. The head was a full inch thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. A thin cap of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was molasses and brown sugar. Toasted malt and prunes.

Taste was brown sugar and molasses. Bitter chocolate, raisins and lots of malt. Almost too sweet, this beer. If it wasn't for the slightly smokey, bitter aftertaste, it would be cloyingly sweet.

Medium to full mouthfeel with a syrupy quality. Low to moderate carbonation.

I'm not really feeling the love for this brew. It could have stayed behind the pickles for a while. I'm giving Anchor Bock Beer a BeerGuyPDX rating of 2 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment