Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Alameda Brewing Company - Yellow Wolf Imperial IPA

Who you callin' yellow?
Why do I blog about beer, you ask? (I know, nobody asked, but I'm playing with my imaginary friends.) I really just wanted a place to log all of my beer-speriences. I'm a hobbiest of sorts. Some fellers collect stamps, some collect baseball cards, I collect beers...IN MAH BELLY! (I know, that Austin Powers/Fat Bastard reference is out-dated and over-used--on this blog.) I do this all...for me. If you're reading this and it gives you some helpful information, a useful tidbit of beer consumer knowledge, that's cool.

Today's review subject is a local Portland brew that has earned a special place in my heart. It's called Yellow Wolf Imperial IPA, and I suspect Alameda Brewing named it after me. Okay, I know that's not true, but that's what I'm telling all of my relatives way out there in Kansasarkahoma.

Yellow Wolf poured from bomber into my shaker pint a slightly hazy, golden orange, copper color. The white head came up a finger thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. A good cap of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was big on the citrus hops. Orange and grapefruit. Light tropical fruit in the background, along with some earthy malt.

Taste followed the nose with a nice, big, bitter hops bang. Decent little sting to the tastebuds that lasted throughout the entire drink. The nice earthy malt flavor didn't get overshadowed by the hops. Good balance. No noticeable alcohol burn that I could detect.

Medium to slightly full mouthfeel. Some spicy, herbal notes in the finish.

The Wonder Beagle went nutso over the smell of this beer. AH-ROOOOO! Yellow Wolf got a bona fide beagle howl--inside the house, no less. That never happens. Perhaps she instinctively recognized a canine brother.

I like this IIPA because it's the exact IPA profile I prefer. Not too sweet and a big, solid pucker to it. I'm giving Yellow Wolf a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie.

No comments:

Post a Comment