Saturday, May 25, 2013

Alameda Brewing Company - El Torero Organic IPA

Toro! Toro! Toro!
Memorial Day weekend and Alameda Brewing Company is offering $5.00 growler fills. Heck, that's about as much as you'd pay for a pint. I'm there! It's a UFC fight night, so I'm going to need some libations. Cheap, good beer. You can't go wrong there.

I bolted over to that brewpub as soon as they opened and got myself a  growler of El Torero Organic IPA. It was a tough choice and I was considering going home and dusting off another growler, but common sense prevailed and I just got the one.

The beer poured from growler into my shaker pint a slightly hazy, golden orange color. The frothy white head came up to more than a finger and a half thick and had great retention. A healthy cap of lacing was left behind and the glass got a good coating of spiderweb suds.

Aroma delivered an immediate dose of sweet, earthy malt. Smell of citrus hops in the follow up: orange and tangerine. There's also hints of tropical and stone fruit in the background.

Taste was earthy malt and big, bitter hops. Really good balance. There was a spicy, herbal zing. The underlying sweetness and fruity flavor was prominent in the middle but soon got eclipsed by the hops bitterness--which is how I like it. Sugary sweet IPA's are not my thing.

Medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Finish had some creaminess, but the bitter hops taste was the last thing on the palate.

This IPA has decent character and is highly drinkable. Not sure about the ABV but I'm guessing it's around 7%. I made a good choice. El Torero gets a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.




No comments:

Post a Comment