Wednesday, May 22, 2013

10 Barrel Brewing Company - Swill Beer

Swill, or swell?
Beer Guy, stop taking yourself so serious, our Swill was designed to throw down!
That's what it says right there on the label of 10 Barrel Brewing Company's Swill Beer. Hey, you talkin' to me 10 Barrel? I said, you talkin' to me? Okay, I'm pretty sure that message wasn't meant for me. They're probably just referring to all generic beer guys...but...

I really didn't know what to expect from this beer. I had zero clue what was contained within that plain, black labeled bomber. I did note that the ABV is a modest 4.5%. 

What a curious name they gave this beer, too. "Swill" does not conjure up much of a pleasant mental image. My pops used to drink swill. I clearly remember him opening a bottle of Schlitz, declaring it "skunk", and drinking it anyway. "Ack! This crap is pure swill! BELCH!" Ah, pops, always the gentleman.

The beer poured from the bomber into my shaker pint a cloudy, pale yellow color. The fizzy white head was a finger thick and disappeared quickly. No lacing was left behind, save a thin ring on top.

Aroma was full on grapefruit. There was also a prominent soda smell wafting up from the glass. Hey! It's a grapefruit radler! That's the last thing I expected.

Taste was straight up grapefruit--and I'm talking the natural citrus fruit. There were no hops detected by my nose. It's very much like a grapefruit soda, but not too sweet.

Thin to medium mouthfeel with a significant amount of carbonation. Very clean and refreshing.

This cool, rainy Wednesday evening was the wrong time to try this beer. I can imagine it would be an awesome summer BBQ beer. My wife took a taste and proclaimed it good. She only drinks Hefes, Belgian Wits and no-too-sour fruit beers. I've been wanting her to try Stiegl's Grapefruit Radler, so tonight's was quite a fortuitous beer selection. I think this brew is better than Stiegl's. Higher ABV, less soda and more beer. Interestingly, the Wonder Beagle continues to widen her beer sniffing preferences. This beer had her drooling up a storm.

I'm giving Swill Beer a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie.





No comments:

Post a Comment