Friday, April 26, 2013

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company - Uncut Kill Devil

The devil made them brew it...
Thursday was my Friday so I dropped off the MAX near Bailey's Taproom for some malty libations. Apparently, everyone else had the same idea because the place was slammed. I found an empty barstool near the restrooms, where everyone walking past me felt compelled to poke me in the ribs with an errant elbow. Grrr. Beer get in mah belly 'fore I snap!

Gratefully, Bailey's always has some bangin' brews on their gigantic draft list. I knew they would have something to help take the edge off my grump. They did.

One of the beers I ordered was Widmer Brothers Uncut Kill Devil. This stuff is a rum barrel-aged strong ale with an ABV of 10.3%. It's a seriously serious beer.

It was presented in a 10 oz. snifter a deep, dark brown color with a lovely off-white head. The head dissipated quickly and a small ring of lacing was left around the rim of the glass.

Aroma was a big, bold and boozy right from the first sniff. Yow! Lots and lots of booze with molasses, dark fruit, brown sugar and vanilla bringing up the rear.

Taste was sweet, boozy rum and molasses. Roasted malt and more booze. Each sip was kind of like taking a straight shot of rum. Lots of warmth from the booze in this one. The flavors of oak, malt and hazelnut were left rolling around on the palate after the initial boozy zing.

This is definitely a sipping brew and probably more suited for an aperitif or to go along with a rich dessert. Medium to full mouthfeel with moderate to low carbonation. A bit of a palate-coater, for sure.

I like this stuff. It's certainly not an easy drinking, summer BBQ beer, but it would be welcome at any dinner party at my house. I'm giving Uncut Kill Devil a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment