Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company - Nelson Imperial IPA

Full Nelson?
Tonight, I was just sitting around on the couch, watching the tube, balancing a plate of my wife's delicious baked ziti on my ample beer gut, when I thought to myself, "Self, you just gotta do something about reducing that ample beer gut," and then, "Oooo, that's some tasty baked ziti!"

I used to be a martial artist and a bodybuilder. It's true. Now, the only exercise my tiny T-rex arms ever get is raising a pint glass to my lips. Sigh. Well, things could always be worse. That pint glass could be filled with PBR or some other gawd-awful crap beer.

Gratefully, I live in the Pacific Northwest, where craft beer is king and your average granny on a park bench can tell you more than you'll ever need to know about water, malt, yeast and hops.

My beer selection for this evening comes from one of the pioneer craft breweries in Portland, Or-ray-gun, Widmer Brothers Brewing Company. These dudes have been making tasty brews since way back in the day. They know how it's done. The beer I'm pouring myself tonight is their Nelson Imperial IPA.

The beer poured into my pint glass a slightly hazy, golden copper color. The off-white head rose up more than a finger thick and demonstrated good retention. Sudsy lacing remained throughout the drink.

Interesting malt-forward smell to this one. Aroma was big on the caramel malt as soon as I popped the cap on the bomber and poured it. Citrus hops with floral notes rounded things out.

Taste follows the nose, with the the malt flavor setting things up quite nicely for the hops to come shining through in the finish. Mild orange and grapefruit with a pleasant bitterness that lingers but doesn't over power. 

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Hard to believe the ABV is in at 8.6%. You can sip or chug this beer and there's barely an alcohol taste to it.

Nice beer and I would drink one anytime, anywhere. I'm giving Nelson Imperial IPA a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4. 


No comments:

Post a Comment