Thursday, April 18, 2013

Societe Brewing Company - The Apprentice IPA

This one is hard to Trump.
Last day in San Diego. Stopped in at OB Noodle House for some lunch and a couple of brews. The food was pretty good. I got the lemon rare beef salad and my lady ordered steamed rice with Vietnamese BBQ beef. 

The restaurant was closed yesterday when I tried to wander in for a mid-day beer. Unfortunately, spikey-haired gastronomicon Guy Fieri was there filming a segment of "Triple D". All I saw was the wait staff standing around on the sidewalk. I wondered what the hub-bub was all about. For a minute, I thought they were being shut down for some kind of OSHA violation. Turns out it was just that f**ker Fieri keeping me from getting my drank on! Damn you, Fieri! Damn you!

Today, the place was pretty crowded but they got us seated very quickly. Of course, I wasn't there for the food--I was there for some beer. My first choice was Societe Brewing Company's  The Apprentice IPA.

The beer was presented in a shaker pint a slightly hazy, golden orange color. The white head was a finger thick and dissipated slowly. Lots of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was citrus and pine, along with a light floral note. Tropical fruit in the background: pineapple and melon. No real discernible malt smell present.

Taste pretty much followed the nose. Grapefruit, tangerine and orange with a very forward resinous pine giving a zing to the tastebuds. A nice malt aftertaste was left on the palate. No real alcohol bite detected.

Medium mouthfeel and moderate carbonation. Finish is slightly dry.

Damn, they cook up some excellent IPA's in SD. Yes, they do. This is one of my favorites so far. I'm giving The Apprentice a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.




No comments:

Post a Comment