Friday, April 12, 2013

Pizza Port Brewing Company - Kung Fu Elvis

Tae Kwon Hops to the Head!
Sometimes you don't realize just how badly you need a vacation until you're on one. Man, did I need a vacation! When our plane landed in sunny San Diego, I felt like a massive boulder was immediately lifted off my shoulders.

We ended up renting a cozy little beach house in Ocean Beach. As soon as we got settled in, I fired up the Yelp app on my phone and searched for "brewpub". Imagine my extreme ecstasy when I discovered a Pizza Port location 0.2 miles away!  OH-YEAH!

Pizza Port has a huge taplist that consists primarily of their own brews. So many, in fact, it was difficult to make a selection. Kung Fu Elvis immediately got my attention. Seriously, how could I pass up a beer called Kung Fu Elvis? Seriously. It's an American Pale Ale with an ABV of 6%. Did it have a hunka-hunka burnin' kick to it? Hells to the yes!

The beer was poured from tap into a Shaker pint a clear, golden orange color. The white head was a finger thick and dissipated while I was chatting with the brewtender. Man, I'm just not quick enough with the camera. It looked real purty with that head on there. A nice cap of lacing was left behind, though.

Aroma was citrus hops with a bit of resinous pine. Very floral with sweet malt in the background. Nice.

Taste followed the nose. Bitter citrus hops right up front, but not a pucker bomb. Orange and tropical fruit flavors. Nice malt flavor in the aftertaste.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Somewhat of a dry finish. Not at all too sweet. Very drinkable. I could knock back a growler of this stuff all by my own damn self--and I just might. I'm here in San Diego for a week.

I've heard that Elvis didn't really earn his blackbelt and that he was kind of a karate fraud. There is nothing fake about this Kung Fu Elvis, however. It's the real deal. I'm giving this one a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.




No comments:

Post a Comment