Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Oskar Blues Brewery - G'Knight Imperial Red IPA

Red Rover, Red Rover,
send this beer on over...
I stopped in at Whole Foods on the way home from work and picked up a bag o' singles to drink and review this week. I picked up a couple of cans and three or four bottles. I think I mentioned in a previous review that I really like craft beer in cans. Cans are easy to carry, store in the fridge, and they don't break.

Tonight I'm drinking a G'Knight Imperial Red IPA from Oskar Blues. Right off the bat, I'm wondering what the heck kind of beer style this stuff is really going to be. A legitimate IPA? A red  ale? Something else? I had no idea what to expect.

The beer poured from the pint-size aluminum can into my tulip pint glass a clear reddish amber color. The white head rose up to a full two fingers thick. It was quite creamy and foamy. The head dissipated slowly and left a good amount of lacing behind. Quite an attractive beer, I must say.

Aroma was indistinct tropical fruit, sweet caramel malt and booze. There was quite a big alcohol smell to this 8.7% ABV beer.

Taste was sweet malt and a big sock of alcohol right up front. Mildly bitter citrus hops: grapefruit, orange and lemon flavors. Interesting. If it was a blind taste test, I doubt I would call it an IPA. It's almost like a malt liquor without the corn and skunk, and I mean that in a good way. I like it.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. The finish leaves alcohol on the tongue with remnants of caramel malt and hops.

G'Knight is a different kind of beer. I wasn't sure about it at first, but it really grew on me as I drank it. I'm giving this beer a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment