Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Natian Brewery - Undun Blonde Ale

She's come Undun
Did I mention that I really like these pint-size cans that a number of craft brewers are packaging their wares in lately? I think I probably did. If not, well, I am now. Cans are lighter than bottles, don't break, store easier and chill faster. You can also toss a can across the room to one of your buddies without fear of it breaking and showering your party guests with sharp, injurious shards of glass. Yup, cans are cool.

One of the single cans I picked up on Monday was a pint of Natian Brewery's Undun Blonde Ale. Natian is located right here in Portland, Oregon. They make some mighty good beer.

Undun poured from the can into my pint glass a slightly hazy golden yellow color. The bright white head bubbled up to just about a finger thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. A nice thin layer of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was bready malt on the first olfactory intake. Pleasant floral and citrus hops in the background. Lemon zest and spice.

Taste follows the nose to some extent. Subtle citrus: lemon and grapefruit. There's a surprising little bitter zing after every sip that kind of sneaks up on your taste buds. The finish is dry and a spicy, malty, slightly bitter aftertaste is left rolling around on the palate.

Medium mouthfeel with a perfect amount of carbonation. Just enough to make the beer lively, but not at all fizzy.

I really like this beer. This is the one I want to have waiting for me after I finish mowing the lawn on a hot summer afternoon. And I have an old, rickety push mower, so you know I need a super-refreshing brew for that job. I can't wait.

Excellent beer and I'm giving it a very respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment