Saturday, April 13, 2013

Mission Brewery - Dark Seas Stout

Having a cold one at Our Lady
of Guadalupe Church...
I'm in San Diego, be-otches! The land of sun and fun--although it appears we brought the cold, cloudy Portland weather with us. Nevertheless, we are having a blast. Today we took the Trolley from Old Town to downtown, seeking out the Mission Brewery tasting room. We found it! Even though the GPS on my Android phone kept insisting we were at Our Lady of Guadalupe Church. Whaaa? I guess a brewery IS my kind of church, so there you go.

I ordered a flight of tasters, which usually isn't my thing, but I've never had any Mission beers and they had so darn many on the taplist. All were excellent but my favorite was the Dark Seas Stout. So good, I got a glass of it.

The beer was poured from tap to glass a jet black with a pithy mocha head. The head disappeared before I walked it over to the table and no lacing was left behind. Just a tiny ring of bubbles around the rim.

Aroma was roasted malt, cocoa and coffee. There was a sweet, dark fruit smell in the background, along with some molasses and brown sugar.

Taste followed the nose. Nice bitter chocolate, rich espresso and a very pleasant smokiness. There was just a little bite of booze as it warmed up, but at 10.5% ABV, the alcohol seemed really well masked. More dark fruit flavor came out as it warmed. 

Full bodied and low carbonation. Just a tad viscous, but appropriately so. This is a smooth, creamy sipper. I really like it a LOT and will bring a bottle home with me if I can. Quite a lovely stout and I'm giving Dark Seas a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment