Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Left Coast Brewing Company - Voo Doo Stout

Who do? Voo Doo.
Took a little business trip to SoCal yesterday and today. While I was there, I stopped at Slater's 50/50 for dinner. Never been there? Well, if you like burgers like I like burgers, you have to make Slater's a destination. I won't go into the wonderfulness of what awaits you in too much detail here. Suffice it to say that you'll have a hard time finding a more succulent, juicy, tasty, custom-made to order hamburger anywhere. FYI: The "50/50" represents the patty that is 50% ground bacon--50% ground beef. Yes, ground bacon. Drool.

Slater's also has a legitimate taplist. In fact, they have a massive number of imperial IPA's on the menu--almost too many. Strangely, I wasn't in the mood for an IIPA. I ordered a Voo Doo Stout from Left Coast Brewing instead.

The beer was delivered to me in a small tulip glass. Color was a deep, dark brown/black with a creamy mocha head. The head was a full finger thick and dissipated slowly. A full cap was left behind along with a good amount of lacing throughout the entire drink.

Aroma was coffee, molasses, roasted malt and a hint of dark fruit.

Taste was bitter chocolate and coffee. Just a touch of alcohol taste to this 8.5% ABV brew, but it's not overpowering. There is an interesting meaty, nutty flavor in the background. Pleasant roasted malt is left on the palate after every sip.

Medium mouthfeel with a creamy finish.

Voo Doo is a nice stout. I would definitely order this one again. I'm giving it a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment