Friday, April 26, 2013

Laurelwood Brewing Company - Portlandia Pils

Better with a bird on it?
I have to admit that I'm pretty much done with the TV show "Portlandia". Yeah, it was kind of cool at first. I enjoyed seeing so many familiar local spots on the tube, and the program almost captured the spirit of oblivious individualism that is celebrated here. But after a while, it was pretty clear Fred and Carrie were laughing at us more than with us.

I knew that sooner or later somebody would name a local craft beer "Portlandia". I picked up a bomber of Laurelwood Brewing Company's Portlandia Pils at New Seasons this morning. I was curious about what kind of brew deserved the moniker. Gratefully, I was very pleasantly surprised.

The beer poured into my shaker pint a clear golden yellow color with a bright white, bubbly head. The head dissipated quickly but left a good cap of lacing across the top.

Aroma was floral, grassy and citrus hops with a mild, earthy, sweet malt smell in the background. A pleasant breadiness floating around in there, too.

Taste was crisp citrus hops: orange and grapefruit. Great little bitter zing to the stuff. Kind of like a baby IPA. The wonderful hop profile doesn't completely overpower the malt flavor. There's still a sweet biscuity, honey-like malt note there in the background.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. The finish is dry with that great bitter aftertaste.

I love this "NW Pils". It's very drinkable and will definitely find it's way into my BBQ cooler. I have to also mention that Merry the Wonder Beagle, my beer-loving pooch, went absolutely bat-crap crazy over the smell of this beer. My wife caught it on video, which I'll post later. I'm giving this brew a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie.



No comments:

Post a Comment