Saturday, April 6, 2013

Lagunitas Brewing Company - Wilco Tango Foxtrot (WTF)

WTF?
I don't know what it is about Lagunitas beers, but Merry the Wonder Beagle can smell them even before the cap is popped on the bottle. She has never sniffed a Lagunitas brew she didn't love. While I'm writing this review, she's staring at me with long tendrils of drool dripping off her muzzle. She's also trying to cook up a plot to get the last vestiges of beer out of the glass I left on the coffee table. I can see it in her eyes. Crazy ass dog.

I picked up a bomber of Lagunitas Brewing's Wilco Tango Foxtrot (WTF) from the cold case at Fred Meyer. There was a bottle of Blue Moon sitting next to it. WTF, Fred Meyer? Blue Moon cannot share a shelf with a fine craft beer like those made by Lagunitas. Blech!

WTF poured into my Lagunitas Mason jar pint a dark brown/amber color with a creamy tan head. The head was more than a finger thick and had good retention. A cap of frothy lacing was left across the top of the brew throughout the entire drink.

Aroma was straight up citrus and pine hops with a bready malt backbone. The smell of brown sugar and ripe dark fruit way in the back there.

Taste follows the nose. Grapefruit, lime and lemon from the hops with a bitterness that lingers from start to finish. Nice malt flavor, but the hops are the driving taste factor here.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Finish is slightly dry. No detectable alcohol taste in this 7.85% ABV beer.

All-in-all, this is a great beer. I would certainly welcome it as a regular in my fridge. WTF is getting a very respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie.

No comments:

Post a Comment