Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Hopworks Urban Brewery - Galactic Imperial Red Ale

And the space he invades,
he gets by on you...
Hopworks has some pretty cool graphics on their bottles, I gotta say. My favorite packaging is on on their Abominable Winter Ale, but the artwork on their Galactic Imperial Red Ale is damn nifty, too. Makes me think about all those quarters I plunked into that Space Invaders machine way back in the day. I bet if I'd just saved that money, instead of wasting it on mind-numbing video games, I'd be living in a French Chateau...or at least a condo in The 'Couve. In any case, when I saw the bomber in the Whole Foods cold case, I had to buy it. Gratefully, the beer inside the bottle was pretty damn good, too.

The beer poured from the bomber into my shaker pint a hazy, reddish amber color. The off-white head came up more than a full finger thick, dissipated at a moderate rate and had good retention. A decent amount of lacing was left behind,

Aroma was caramel malt and lots of citrus hops. Smell is very much like an IPA, but there's a bready, earthy character in the background. Some light floral notes are present in the initial olfactory uptake.

Taste was grapefruit and orange. Bready, biscuity with a prominent malt flavor. Caramel and toffee with some booze rolling around in there, too. However, there is zero alcohol sting to this brew, in spite of the 9% plus ABV.

Medium to slightly full mouthfeel. Finish is smooth and creamy. The body seems a bit viscous, in spite of the ample carbonation. Just a teeny, tiny bet syrupy.

This beer is pretty tasty. I'm giving it a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment