Monday, April 22, 2013

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company - Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale

Am I blue? No way!
HAPPY EARTH DAY!

Today is the day that we vile, polluting, litterbugging humans are supposed to celebrate Planet Earth and reinforce our respect for the environment. It's a nice concept, dreamed up by optimistic, well-meaning hippies. Nevermind that the hole in the Ozone Layer keeps getting bigger and bigger--along with that giant island of trash floating around in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. And while the Luddites in DC insist that mankind shared this planet with dinosaurs and that Global Warming is a myth, you can almost hear Mother Nature weeping--as the acid rain falls. Sigh. I started this post on such a positive note...TIME FOR A BEER!

Of course, I needed to pick an appropriate beer to review on this special occasion. Hair of the Dog Blue Dot IIPA fills the bill quite nicely. That "Blue Dot" moniker refers to--what else--our fragile blue planet. Says so right on the bottle: "Make every day Earth Day."

The beer poured from bomber into my shaker pint a cloudy, pale orange color with a thin white head. The head barely made it to half a finger thick, and I was really giving it an aggressive pour. It dissipated quickly and left a pithy, thin cap of lacing behind.

Aroma was straight up citrus hops with just a hint of pine. The smell of sweet malt and tropical fruit. Pineapple, orange and tangerine.

Taste is a solid sock of bitter grapefruity hops ASAP. Lots of tangy fruit flavor. There's some malt way in the background, but it's fairly muted and overpowered by all the fruitiness. However, I wouldn't say this brew is too sweet for my taste. Interesting. There's just enough spicy, peppery rye bite to provide a dry finish and save the day. I couldn't detect any alcohol taste to this 7% ABV IIPA.

Medium to slightly full mouthfeel with moderate carbonation.

I was a tad apprehensive about this beer at first pour, but it really came through. Merry the Wonder Beagle was all over me, drooling like a leaky faucet through my entire drink. Disgusting, but the ultimate sign of approval from the top beer critic in my household. Blue Dot earns a perfect 4 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie Award.

No comments:

Post a Comment