Saturday, April 20, 2013

GoodLife Brewing Company - Mountain Rescue Pale Ale

Rescue me? Rescue you!
Ah, what a perfect lazy Saturday it was. I fired up the Weber kettle for the first time in months and grilled up some chicken. There was a free UFC event on TV - Henderson v Melendez. And I have a fridge filled with tasty craft beer. It doesn't get much better than that. Life is good.

My first beer of the evening was brewed by GoodLife Brewing Company. How appropriate. I found a bomber of Mountain Rescue Pale Ale on sale at Fred Meyer. It was nice to pay under $4 for a bomber after my trip to the land of uber-expensive craft beer--San Diego, CA.

The beer poured from bottle to my imperial pint glass a hazy golden amber color. The off-white head came up more than two fingers thick and had good retention. Loads of lacing was left behind.

Aroma of sweet caramel malt and tropical fruit fills the nose behind citrus hops. A light herbal, floral smell is also present.

Taste is citrus up front: orange and lemon. The malt is right there, too. Very nice balance between the hops and the malt. Kind of like a baby IPA. A very mild earthiness at the finish. Lots of flavor to this one and it perks up as it warms a bit.

Medium to slightly thin mouthfeel. Good carbonation.

I like this pale ale and it was a welcome change up after the million or so IPA's I knocked back this week. Good stuff. Merry the Wonder Beagle was impressed by the aroma of this brew and couldn't stop whining for a taste. I'm giving Mountain Rescue a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie.

No comments:

Post a Comment