Monday, April 1, 2013

Fort George Brewery - Powered by Hops IPA

Focus...on...the...
BEER!
I picked this beer out of the massive taplist at Apex the other day, which isn't as easy as it sounds. I had no knowledge about the beer other than the ABV at 6.9% and that it was made by Fort George Brewery. That was good enough for me. Fort George is one of my favorite breweries of all time. They make some truly awesome beers and seldom disappoint. I was pretty sure that the name "Powered by Hops" wouldn't just be a lot of blowin' of the proverbial smoke.

The beer was presented to my beer mat a hazy golden orange color. You would be able to see that, too, if I hadn't focused my phone on the shiny taps in the background instead of the beer. Duh. The white head was a finger thick and had good retention. Copious amounts of lacing was left behind.

Smell was big citrus hops and pine. There was an earthy malt aroma in the background and just the right amount of funk.

Taste was a load of hops stinging the salivary glands with citrus goodness right up front. Orange, grapefruit, and peppery spice. The earthy malt flavor in the background told me that there was something different about this brew. I later found out that this is a rye IPA, which resulted in a light bulb going off above my head and me proclaiming, "Ohhhhh, yeah..." But, at the time, I was clueless.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. The finish was dry with the bitter hops and that peppery spice competing on the palate for attention.

This is a great beer. It's not a heavy-handed hop bomb--it has character--but it will deliver a good zing for even the most accomplished hopheads out there, too. I like it. Powered by Hops gets a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment