Sunday, April 21, 2013

Boulder Beer Company - Obovoid Oak-Aged Oatmeal Stout (Nitro)

A lil' snifter full o' tasty.
Argh! After more than a week off, I have to go back to work tomorrow! My beercation in San Diego wasn't nearly long enough, so I had to extend it a bit today. I hopped on the number 8 bus and found myself at the Fifteenth Avenue Hophouse.

From the extensive taplist, I ordered several beers. One of them  was Obovoid Oak-Aged Oatmeal Stout from Boulder Beer Company. They had it on nitro. It has a reported ABV of 6.8% and 40 IBU's.

The beer was presented in a small snifter, although I really could have used a full pint. It was a deep, dark black color with a luxurious, creamy, mocha/tan head. Hey, it was poured out of a nitro tap, so that head looked like chocolate mousse. Pretty.

Smell was cocoa and coffee, with a light oak-y, smokey aroma in the background. Just a bit of earthy, over-ripe fruit scent following everything up: plum and black cherry.

Taste followed the nose. Bitter dark chocolate and burnt coffee. Roasted malt and smokey oak providing a good flavor balance.

Medium to slightly full mouthfeel. Dry finish with primarily the smoked oak notes left on the palate at the very end. No alcohol detected by my tastebuds.

All-in-all, this is pretty decent stout. Very smooth and drinkable on the nitro. I'm giving Obovoid a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment