Sunday, April 14, 2013

Ballast Point Brewing Company - Dorado Double IPA

Nothing fishy here.
I'm still having a great time on my San Diego beercation. Tonight, we picked up some prime ribeyes and grilled them for dinner at the beach house we rented. My lovely wife surprised me with a bomber of Ballast Point Brewing Company's Dorado Double IPA. She's the best.

Years ago, I caught a huge Bull Dorado while sportfishing down in Cabo San Lucas. What a beautiful fish and it was damn tasty, too. As soon as we brought it into the harbor, we had it cooked up for dinner. Not sure what the connection could be between this beer and the fish, but it makes for some pretty cool label art.

The beer poured from the bomber into my rented beer mug a slightly hazy, deep golden color. The bubbly white head rose up more than a finger high and dissipated slowly. A significant amount of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was very floral. I could smell this beer from across the room. Tropical fruit, orange citrus, muted resinous pine, with a spicy herbal note present in the background.

Taste was sweet tropical fruit up front--almost a little too sweet for my liking. Hops bitterness chimed in soon afterward. Orange and grapefruit with just a bit of funkiness. There was a spicy, herbal aftertaste.

Medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Almost a little syrupy. Finish was creamy and that spicy bite lingered on the palate.

I like my IIPA's just a little less sweet, but this is still a nice brew. I'm giving Dorado a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment