Sunday, April 28, 2013

Alameda Brewing Company - Huckleberry Hound Golden Ale

You ain't nothing but a
(delicious) hound dog.
I was trying my best to make it over to the last day of the Oregon Garden Brewfest today, but the best laid schemes o' mice an' beer geeks gang aft agley.

I did get to spend some quality time with my lovely wife and daughter, so the day was not lost--especially since part of that day WAS spent at a brewery tasting room. Heh, heh.

On the way home, I stopped at Freddie's for some hot dogs and charcoal for the grill. I also picked up a couple of bombers of fine craft beer. One of those brews was Alameda Brewing Company's Huckleberry Hound Golden Ale. The bottle proclaimed an ABV of 4.3%, but otherwise there was no info on the label about the stuff. Even the Alameda Brewing website told me only "Details about Huckleberry Hound Golden Ale are coming soon!"

This mystery beer poured into my shaker pint a hazy, golden amber color. The white head made it up to about a quarter of an inch with an aggressive pour and dissipated quickly. A thin cap of lacing was left from rim to rim and remained throughout the entire drink.

Aroma was toasty caramel malt right up front with a delicate fruity smell in the background: Apple, pear and berry.

Taste was light, earthy malt with a nice sourdough breadiness. Slightly sour fruit plays well off the underlying sweetness of this beer. No real distinct hops flavor that I could detect. A nice malty taste was left on the palate at the finish, along with some subtle spiciness.

Thin to medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. This is an easy drinking, sessionable beer. I'm assuming it's brewed with huckleberries, but it's definitely not overly fruity. I could chug a gallon of the stuff, and it really went well with those Hebrew Nationals I grilled.

Surprisingly, Merry the Wonder Beagle was drooling up a storm over this beer--a reaction she typically saves for beers loaded with hops. Perhaps she recognized her hound dog cousin on the label. In any case, I'm giving this tasty brew a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie.

No comments:

Post a Comment