Monday, April 29, 2013

Alameda Brewing Company - American Rye

I pledge allegiance to this beer...
I picked up a bomber of Alameda Brewing Company's American Rye at Grocery Outlet the other day. Yes, Grocery Outlet, or as my wife calls it, The Used Food Store. No, the food at Grocery Outlet isn't really used, but it is primarily overstock stuff at dirt cheap prices. They have a fantastic craft beer selection with lots of local staples for way less than you'll pay at your grocery store or bottle shop.

American Rye has an ABV of 5.5% and comes in a bomber with a blue wax-dipped neck. Hey, I've already written about my thoughts on wax-sealed bottles: the stuff inside damn well better be worth the effort it takes to get the cap off. That's all I'm sayin'.

The beer poured from the bottle into my Shaker pint a hazy golden orange color. The off-white head was redonkulous. It rose up more than two fingers thick and was as clumpy, lumpy and creamy as any head I've ever seen. When I walked out of the kitchen, my wife commented about what a pretty looking beer it was. I concur. That head dissipated slowly and left a latticework of lacing all over the glass.

Smell was grassy rye and light citrus hops: lemon and grapefruit.Very light tropical fruit and floral notes in background.  Not an enormous aroma to this one. Then again, my nose isn't cooperating today.

Taste delivers a sharp, bitter hops punch. That bitterness is left pleasantly on the tongue with a spicy, peppery bite. The citrus from the nose is present in the taste: flavors of lemon and grapefruit. The balance is really nice. The hops don't overpower the other flavors and they all take turns skipping around on the palate.

Medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. The finish is dry, as expected, with little to no sweetness hanging around at the end.

I love rye whiskey and I love rye beer. This brew went great with the homemade Indian dinner my wife prepared tonight. The Wonder Beagle didn't notice this one until I was almost finished drinking it. However, she did eventually work up quite an appreciative drool.

Okay, it was worth breaking a nail peeling off the wax. I'm giving American Rye a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie.

No comments:

Post a Comment