Sunday, March 10, 2013

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company - Green & Gold Kolsch

Gratefully, the beer is gold...
Go Timbers! Yay! Ya-hoo! Timbers are the best at kicking balls! TIMBERS! (I'm making axe chopping motions with my hands now.) YAY! 

Sorry, I'm just screwin' with ya. I don't know a damn thing about soccer and I've never been to a Timbers game. I do see lots of my fellow Portlanders sporting Timbers scarves, hats and t-shirts and stuff, so there's apparently quite a few soccer fans in this burg. I see them packed onto the MAX on game days,  and they look quite excited and anxious to see their team score--what?--one or two goals? YAY!

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm happy those Timbers fans have something to root for, I really am. I'm also impressed that they have their own official craftbeer to chug down during all that exciting running back and forth and such.

Widmer Brother's Green & Gold is a Kolsch style brew that was apparently created by a local homebrewer. Widmer is producing the beer as an homage to the ever-popular local soccer team. Green and gold are the official colors of the Portland Timbers. YAY, TIMBERS!

The beer poured into my Shaker pint a clear, bright, golden yellow color. The fizzy white head came up to almost two fingers thick and dissipated quickly. A thin cap of lacing was left behind.

Aroma is sweet malt and light, grassy hops.

Taste is malt up front with light, pleasant citrus hops in the background. Mmmm, lemony.

Thin mouthfeel with very lively carbonation. Dry finish with maltiness left on the palate.

Nice. This is certainly a better stadium beer than you'll find anywhere else. I'm giving Green & Gold a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment