Saturday, March 2, 2013

Upright Brewing Company - Oyster Stout

The beer is even prettier
than the label art.
Man, oh man, oh man! I am completely hooked on the oyster stout. Dare I say it? I will. I love this beer style as much as my beloved IPA's. That says a lot.

When I first encountered an oyster stout, I thought it was probably just some kind of weird novelty brew. One sip, however, and I was in love. The oysters add the most subtle flavor to the stouts I've tried. Oysters are my most favorite seafood delicacy, anyway, and when expertly added to a beer, well, it's gawd damn sublime.

I saw a tweet from Upright Brewing today, announcing that bottles of their Oyster Stout were going on sale at the taproom. Hey, I was there as soon as they opened.

The beer poured into my Shaker pint a jet black color that didn't let any light through. The mocha head came up a full two fingers thick and dissipated slowly. A significant cap of lacing was left behind.

Aroma is roasted/smokey malt, chocolate and espresso. I can definitely pick up a bit of oyster in the background.

Taste is absolutely delicious! Fantastic! Smokey, slightly bitter cocoa with coffee and molasses. The subtle, salty oyster flavor rolls around on the palate between sips. There is also a pleasant spicy taste in there, too. This brew is the STUFF. I should have picked up two bottles. Guess I'm going to have to take that elevator down to the Upright basement brewery again tomorrow.

Medium to slightly full mouthfeel. Decent carbonation. Creamy finish.

This is probably the most oyster-ish tasting oyster stout I've tasted, and that's a good thing. Please, don't be put off. If you're not an oyster lover, I would bet you wouldn't even be able to pick the flavor out the mix. If you ARE an oyster lover, you will love this beer. I'm giving this Oyster Stout a perfect BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment