Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Uinta Brewing Co - Anniversary Barley Wine Ale

Happy Anniversary, Happy Anniversary,
HAAAAPY ANNI-VERS-ARY!
Oh, yeah, tonight is Justified night! I don't know if you're a fan of the show--don't really care--but I loves me some Justified! I come from a long line of toothless hillbillies (surprise) and this fantastic FX program is almost as realistic as DoH (Dukes of Hazzard) Cue the General Lee (Honk-ee-honk-honk-honk-ee-honk-ee-honk-honk-HONK-EE)

Lord, this review is starting out about as non-PC as I can get. Sorry. In any case, I'm all ready for my program. I have two chili dogs, a mountain of potato chips, and a new brew to review.

Uinta Brewing Co is another brewer in Salt Lake City, UT. Once again, I'm wondering if you can actually buy this 10.4% ABV Barley Wine in a store in the lovely state of Utah. I need to do some research on that. I don't think you can. Too bad for those Utahians that imbibe. I feel for both of you guys.

The beer poured into my tulip glass a reddish brown with a moderate tan head the rose up to about a 1/2 inch tall. The head dissipated quickly and left behind a pithy amount of lacing.

Aroma is sweet malt with brown sugar and notes of over-ripe dark fruit in the background.

Taste is big and boozy, as you would expect, but it's surprisingly smooth. Sweet malt, mixed with raisin and dried plums. (I know, they're called prunes.) Pine hops bitterness follows up the initial booze burn.

Medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. The finish is somewhat dry with the pleasant hops flavor left on the palate there at the end. This one is very drinkable and could really get me into trouble in a six pack. Zoinks!

Really a very nice brew and I'm giving it a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4. Good stuff.






No comments:

Post a Comment