Sunday, March 31, 2013

Stickmen Brewery & Skewery - Iron Mountain Double IPA

Stick it - in mah belly!
On Friday afternoon, I had the pleasure of attending a little bottle sharing event with some renowned local beer bloggers at Stickmen Brewery & Skewery in Lake Oswego, OR. It was an honor to be in the presence of such knowledgeable beer folks and share some tasty, tasty brews.

Stickmen Brewery is a fairly new operation, from what I gathered. The brewers came by and said howdy while we were drinking. Unfortunately, I didn't have any of the skewers. We did have a plate of nachos at the table and that was one nice plate of nachos. They used fresh jalapenos and a ton of tasty toppings.

I am including Stickmen on my most recent Portland Beer by Bus write-up: The Number 35. They have a fantastic patio right on the lake and I can't think of a nicer place to sip a few. I'll be back to try more of their food menu and I highly recommend the place. 

I have to say that the best beer I had at Stickmen was their CDA. It was damn delicious. Unfortunately, it appears I didn't save a photo of that beer on my phone. You should know that I am rather technologically challenged. I didn't even own a smartphone until recently. My computer skills are also limited to pounding my sausage-like digits on a keyboard--kind of like those Shakespeare writing monkeys. In any case, I'll review the only Stickmen brew I have a picture of and get back there again soon to do the CDA right.

The beer I am reviewing today is Stickmen's Iron Mountain Double IPA. I believe the taplist said this brew comes in at 7.3% ABV, which is at the lower end for an IIPA.

The beer was presented to my table a hazy, golden orange color with an impressive, creamy white head. The head was more than a full finger thick and was peaking up over the rim of the glass. Too bad I couldn't get the camera fired up on my phone fast enough to snap that nice looking head. Retention was good and a significant amount of frothy lacing was left behind during the drink.

The description of the beer on the taplist told me it was brewed with Cascade and Centennial hops. My favorites. Smell was definitely what you would expect. A forward  aroma of citrus with sweet floral notes.

Taste was sweet malt, with the flavors of grapefruit and orange. The hops provide a nice bitter profile but are very tame and forgiving at the same time. Very fruity.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Finish is just a tad on the sweet side for my taste, but that's just me. It is certainly an easy drinker. I didn't notice any heavy-handed alcohol sting to this one at all.

All-in-all, this is a pretty decent IPA. I'd certainly order it again. I'm giving Iron Mountain a very respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4. Good stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment