Saturday, March 9, 2013

Portland Brewing Company - IPA

IPA or IPAin't?
If you've read any of my other beer reviews, you probably caught on pretty quickly to the fact that the Northwest India Pale Ale is one of my most favorite beer styles.  It's my go to beer. Yeah, I'm a hophead. Sue me.

IPA's are all about the hops. I grow hops in my garden every summer: Cascade, Centennial and Zeus. I put them in my own homebrew. Did you know that hops are closely related to cannabis? It's true. There's no THC in hops but I hear that there are chemical elements in them that promote a feeling of calm and well-being. I also read that eating them raw will give you a helluva nasty headache. I don't know about all that. I just know that hops make beer taste awesome.

I picked up a bomber of Portland Brewing's IPA the other day. $2.79 at Fred Meyer. That's a mighty good price and I was hoping the quality of the brew would make the purchase more than a bargain. I wasn't disappointed.

The beer poured into my Shaker pint a clear, deep copper color with an impressive white, foamy head. The head rose up to almost two fingers thick and dissipated slowly. Copious amounts of lacing was left behind.

Aroma is citrus hops and sweet malt in the background. No surprises there.

Taste is citrus right up front. More orange and lemon to this one than grapefruit. Not too bitter but there's an interesting spicy, peppery bite to the finish. I like it. Nice malt flavor in the background keeps it classic.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. The head perked right back up when I refreshed the glass.

This is a very drinkable beer. Not a tastebud stinging hop bomb, but this is a perfect IPA to drink with a meal. The price is right, too. I'm giving Portland Brewing Company's IPA a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment