Sunday, March 10, 2013

Portland Beer by Bus - The Number 8

I live in Portland, Oregon, which besides having the wonderful distinction of being the city with the most breweries anywhere on the planet, is also one of the most public transit friendly cities around. It's true. Even with recent route reductions and fare increases, it's hard to beat the bus and train (MAX) system here in Stumptown. I commute to work by bus and train every day, and even on the weekends, I find myself choosing TriMet (Portland's public transit system) rather than my car for most of my around town errands. Seriously, the last time I tried to start my car up, I found the battery dead from non-use. Squirrels had taken up residence in the engine compartment and the wheel wells were full of spidey webs.

Using TriMet is also the best form of transportation to use when engaged in my favorite hobby--beer drinking. No chance of a drunk driving arrest when you leave the driving to a sober professional, I'm just sayin'. If you are a beer-cationer in my fair city, PLEASE avail yourself of our public transit when you're out imbibing. There are lots of one way streets in this burg, and Portland drivers are notoriously terrible, even when sober. I just want you to enjoy yourself and come back again, and I can help.

My bus riding beer runs have left me with an odd expertise: I know where every bus and MAX line is situated near every brewpub, brewery and taproom worth visiting. It's true, and I'd like to share this obscure knowledge with my fellow beer lovers. Of course, I've usually had a few when I'm roaming around on these public transportation routes, so you'll want to double check my list with the TriMet Trip Planner. I'm also leaving off any complicated transfers. These are straight line, single bus routes--because you're going to be drinking a lot of beer and I don't want to be responsible for you ending up in the 'Couve. (Google it)

Let's begin with the Number 8 bus that runs from NE Dekum in the North, to Marquam Hill in the South. This line runs right through Portland City Center and crosses the Steel Bridge. Here are just a few of the breweries, pubs and taprooms this bus can take you to visit for your $2.50 price of admission:

Breakside Brewery
820 NE Dekum Street
From South: Get off at NE Dekum & Durham
Stop ID 1267

Mash Tun Brew Pub
2204 NE Alberta Street
From South: Get off at NE 15th & Alberta
Stop ID 6773
From North: Get off at NE 15th & Alberta
Stop ID 6774

1856
1465 NE Prescott Street
From South: Get off at NE 15th & Prescott
Stop ID 6810
From North: NE 15th & Prescott
Stop ID 6805

Fifteen Avenue Hophouse
1517 NE Brazee Street
From South: Get off at NE 15th & Brazee
Stop ID 6777
From North: Get off at NE 15th & Brazee
Stop ID 6778

Hop Haven Bottle Shop
2130 NE Broadway
From South:  Get off at NE 15th & Broadway
Stop ID 6843
From North: Get off at NE 15th & Weidler
Stop ID 6779

Broadway Grill & Brewery
1700 NE Broadway
From South: Get off at NE 15th & Broadway
Stop ID 6843
From North: Get off at NE 15th & Weidler
Stop ID 6779

Bailey's Taproom
213 SW Broadway
From South: Get off at SW 6th & W Burnside
Stop ID 7751
From North: Get off at SW 5th & Pine
Stop ID 7631

Tugboat Brewing Company
711 SW Ankeny Street
From South: Get off at SW 6th & W Burnside
Stop ID 7751
From North: Get off at SW 5th & Pine
Stop ID 7631

Deschutes Brewery
210 NW 11th Avenue
From South: Get off at NW Everett & 5th
Stop ID 8886
From North: Get off at NW 5th & Davis
Stop ID 9301

Bridgeport Brewery
1318 NW Northrup Street
From South: Get off at NW Everett & 5th
Stop ID 8886
From North: Get off at NW Glisan & 3rd
Stop ID 9311

Rogue Public House
1339 NW Flanders
From South: Get off at NW Everett & 5th
Stop ID 8886
From North: Get off at NW 5th & Davis
Stop ID 9301

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
206 SW Morrison Street
From South: Get off at SW 6th & Alder
Stop ID 7747
From North: SW 5th & Morrison
Stop ID 7625

Yes, I know that Rock Bottom is a corporate chain, but tourists like the place, so I'm listing it. Next review: The Number 70.

No comments:

Post a Comment