Sunday, March 17, 2013

Oakshire Brewing - Hellshire III

What the hell is on that label?
Happy St. Patrick's Day, folks! And by folks, I clearly mean the  30 or 40 people who read my blog. You know who you are...because you're reading this... Anyway...I couldn't let this day get by without drinking a beer or few. No way would I drink anything dyed green. I decided to spend a few bucks on something special.

One of the brews I bought from the cold case at Uptown Market was Oakshire Brewing's Hellshire III. It's a stout aged in bourbon barrels. There's quite a bit of copy on the back label that probably tells a lot about the beer, but my old, tired eyes were not up for the challenge.

Hellshire III poured into my tulip glass a pitch black, used 30 weight black. It seemed a bit viscous on the pour. The mocha head came up to almost a finger thick but dissipated quickly. No lacing was left behind.

Aroma is roasted malt, brown sugar and molasses right up front. Lots of booze and oak in the background.

Taste is chocolate and vanilla with an oak smokiness. There's definitely bourbon in the flavor but no noticeable alcohol sting to this 8.5% ABV beer. A nice bitterness is left on the palate, along with a pleasant spicy bite. Cinnamon and allspice. Delicious.

Mouthfeel is medium and there is moderate carbonation. Frankly, I was surprised the stuff wasn't a thick, syrupy palate coater, based on the pour. Looks can be deceiving. This is actually quite an easy drinker. The finish is dry and invites another gulp rather than a sip.

I previously mentioned my apprehension about beers that come in wax-sealed bombers. It makes me sad and disappointed when the beer doesn't live up to the trouble it takes to get the damned cap off the bottle. Hellshire III came with pretty, steel gray wax coating the neck and cap. Gratefully, it also had a pull-string for ease of opening. The beer also lived up to the packaging--and the price. Good, good stuff.

I'm Hellshire III a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4. Merry the Wonder Beagle is sitting here next to me drooling away, so the beer also earns a Droolie.

No comments:

Post a Comment