Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Oakshire Brewing - Overcast Espresso Stout

Java, java, java
I've been really tired lately. Seems like I'm dragging my next to lifeless body out of bed to work and back to bed again, in an endless loop of fatigue and funk. It's been so bad, I've even found it difficult to get excited about--hold onto your hats--beer. Oh, gawd! It's a tragedy!

Before you start feeling sorry for me, I think I've found a solution to the problem: Oakshire Brewing's Overcast Espresso Stout. It's a beer made with coffee! Bam!

The beer poured into my Shaker pint a solid black color with a creamy, mocha head. The head rose up a full finger thick but quickly dissipated. No lacing was left behind.

Aroma is big on coffee--no surprise there. There's also roasted malt and just a tad of earthy hops in the background.

Taste is strong espresso and bitter dark chocolate. Hazelnut and a hint of spiciness. Mild bitterness lingers on the palate between sips. The finish is dry.

Medium mouthfeel with carbonation on the low side. The flavor and aroma perked up as the beer warmed.

I really like this stout. Love the grown-up flavors rolling around. Good stuff and I'm giving this brew a very respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment