Saturday, March 16, 2013

Ninkasi Brewing Company - Babylon IIPA

Mr. Thumb is happy.
The family sent me out to bring home burgers this afternoon. I don't know why, but it always seems to be raining when that happens. I found myself at Killer Burger and damn if the joint wasn't packed to the rafters with birthday partiers. Arrgh.

Gratefully, in addition to having some tasty, tasty burgers, Killer Burger also has some mighty fine Northwest craft beers on tap. That certainly can make a standing room only wait a wee bit more tolerable. Yes, indeedy do.

I ordered up the togo burgers and a pint of Ninkasi Babylon Imperial IPA. Yes! That was a very welcome surprise. Babylon is on my wishlist.

The beer was poured from the tap into a chilled shaker pint. It was a beautiful, hazy, copper orange/amber color. The head was almost a finger high, rising up a very foamy, creamy white above the rim of the glass. The head dissipated slowly and left a good amount of lacing around the rim with a bit of dusting across the top.

Aroma was straight up pine and citrus hops. Stone fruit and pineapple notes in the background.

Taste gives a big initial bitter hops sting. Follow up is sweet malt and tropical fruit. The sweetness is very well balanced against that pine and citrus hops punch. Finish is dry with a nice malt and bitter hops duo competing for attention on the palate.

Medium to slightly heavy mouthfeel. I'd be more inclined to sip rather than chug this one. There's a 9% ABV to this brew. The alcohol is present in the taste, but it doesn't over-power.

I truly love the beers put out by Ninkasi. These are craft beers in every sense of the word. Good, good stuff.
I'm giving Babylon IIPA a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment