Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Green Flash Brewing Company - Double Stout

Double trouble
I'm steadily whittling down the single brews I have stowed in my  fridge. I had a tough decision to make tonight--ended up doing the ol' eeny, meeny, miney, moe. Tada! The pick of the day is Green Flash Brewing Company's Double Stout. The label says it rings in at 8.8% ABV. Let's review it, shall we...

The beer poured into my tulip glass a deep, dark, brown/black color with a pretty tan head. The head looked creamy and clumpy and rose up more than a finger thick. The head dissipated slowly and left a thin film of lacing behind.

Aroma is roasted malt, chocolate and coffee. Not a lot of complexity coming up my nostrils.

Taste is bitter, strong coffee with dark chocolate in the back. Bitter finish that drops off quickly and leaves little else on the palate.

Medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Just a tad watery in the end, which was a bit of a disappointment.

It's not bad, and I certainly wouldn't kick this beer out of my party cooler, but for a double stout, I was expecting just a bit more bang for my buck. I'm giving this one a BeerGuyPDX rating of 2 crushed cans out of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment