Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Fort George Brewery - Roses on Roses XVIth Chapel

There's a War of the Roses goin' on...
in my mouth.
Is it really only Wednesday? DAAAAAAANNNNGGG! This is going to be one helluva long week. Thank the baby jeebus I have plenty of beer in the fridge and mass quantities of booze on the bar to help me forgot my bleak, sorry, sad existence. I'm so depressed, I can't even get myself motivated enough to cross the room to get the remote to change the TV channel--and Workaholics is on--the most annoyingly asinine show on TV. Seriously, who watches that crap? Ahhhh, people who are too depressed to get up and change the channel. It all makes sense...

AnyWAY, I was able to motivate myself to go to the kitchen and fetch back a beer. I pulled out a bomber of Fort George Brewery's Roses on Roses XVIth Chapel Belgian Style IPA, Four Roses Bourbon Barrel-aged with Rose Hips... whew! That's quite a name. For the sake of brevity, and to prevent this blogger from developing carpal tunnel syndrome, I'll simply refer to this beer as RoR for the rest of the review.

RoR poured into my tulip glass a slightly hazy, deep golden orange color. The off-white head rose up to almost two fingers thick and dissipated slowly. A prodigious amount of frothy, sudsy lacing was left behind.

Aroma is whiskey and citrus hops with a definite floral scent in the background. Tropical fruit, too: pineapple and kiwi.

Taste is much lighter on the whiskey than I was expecting. Sweet caramel malt is balanced very nicely with the bitter citrus hops. There is a unique, fruity flavor that I can only assume is the rose hips. There's barely any alcohol sting to this 9.2% ABV brew.

Medium mouthfeel with nice carbonation. The finish is fairly dry. Booze, hops and that rose hips flavor are left subtlety competing for attention on the palate.

This is a delicious beer. I'm really enjoying it...a lot. It almost made me forget that it's only Wednesday. Almost. RoR gets a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.


UPDATE: Merry the Wonder Beagle was snoozing while I was drinking this beer. She woke up a few minutes ago and went absolutely batsh*t loony over the smell of the tiny droplets left in my glass. She even started reverse sneezing from the olfactory excitement. Thus, RoR has earned itself a Droolie.


No comments:

Post a Comment