Saturday, March 2, 2013

Epic Brewing Company - Hopulent IPA (Cask Conditioned)

That beer is from...
Salt Lake City?
They were pouring this beer from a Firkin cask at Bailey's Taproom yesterday. A couple of the other imbibers seated nearby said they liked it...a lot, so that was good enough for me!

Epic Brewing Company is in Salt Lake City, UT. That's pretty impressive right there. I imagine that's kind of like trying to sell Girl Scout cookies outside a WeightWatchers meeting. This Imperial IPA comes with an ABV of over 8%. I'm wondering if it's even legal to sell in its home state. Probably not.

The beer poured out of the cask a slightly cloudy, deep orange color with the most beautiful, foamy white head. It was so bright and bubbly. The head dissipated quickly and left a thin cap of lacing behind.

Aroma is big on citrus and piney hops. Sweet tropical fruit scents in the background.

Taste is big on the hops. Citrus that comes up more orange than grapefruit in this one. Bitter but not excessively so. The stuff is surprisingly smooth and mellow. Sweet malt flavor lingers on the palate.

Medium mouthfeel with lively carbonation. Creamy finish.

I wonder what the non-cask conditioned Hopulent tastes like. I expect I'll have to find out someday. Right now, I'm just rating this version and I'm giving it a respectable 3 crushed cans out of 4 on the BeerGuyPDX scale.


No comments:

Post a Comment