Thursday, March 21, 2013

Elysian Brewing Company - Valhalla Red IPA

Viking blood.
Thursday night and I'm watching the Bellator fights and drinking some beer. I can't drink some prissy, sissy beer out of a tulip while I'm watching MMA. Doesn't work. No, I need a manly brew. Elysian's Valhalla Red IPA seemed like it would fill the bill quite nicely. Check out that label.

This beer is part of Elysian's Manic IPA Series. These are supposed to be unique, seasonal IPA's that showcase specialty hops. Valhalla features Sorachi Ace and Citra hops. Let's see how they did...

The beer poured into my pint glass a hazy deep amber color--not looking all that red to me. Hmmmm? The tan head was humongous. It rose up to two fingers thick and looked very creamy, lumpy and clumpy. The head dissipated slowly and left a ton of sudsy lacing behind.

Citrus, pine and tropical fruit aromas fill the nose. Huge hops smell that brought Merry the Wonder Beagle drooling from the other room as soon as I popped the cap. She left a massive puddle of doggie drool on the floor while she begged for a taste. That's a big compliment from my hops-loving hound.

Taste gives a big bitter pucker with the flavors of grapefruit and orange. No mistaking Valhalla as anything other than an IPA. There's a very pleasant, yeasty, bready malt flavor rounding this one out in the background. Good stuff. Nice semi-dry finish.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. It's also an easy drinker--at least for me--but then my hops tolerance level is fairly well developed. I'd have no problem tipping up my pint glass and downing the whole thing in one shot. Can't do that with every IPA.

It's hard to find anything wrong with this beer. I would absolutely buy it again in a heartbeat. Damn near perfect. I'm giving Valhalla Red IPA a respectable 3 crushed cans of of four and a Droolie.

No comments:

Post a Comment